In this book Simmons first describes the constant torment she went through in grade school from a 'friend' named Abby. Growing up, Simmons couldn't trust any other girls through high school or college, but once she opened up to another girl (once in her 20's), she finds out how lots of other girls had their own 'Abby' in school too.
After sending out mass chain emails to all sorts of girls across the country, Simmons developed enough data to come up with the idea that 'relational aggression' in girls was not uncommon. Girls don't fight with their fists, she came to realize. They fight with words, looks, or relationships. They fight with things like "I won't be your friend anymore."
I grew up with that kind of shit, and it took me until last year to figure out that I didn't want to deal with it anymore. I proudly admit I am friends with about 4 girls. I won't name them, but I've known two for about all my life, and the others are more acquaintances than anything else.
My mom picked up this book when I was in elementary school. She told me she wanted to know whether or not what was happening to me was a real concern. It happens to everyone, the book explains, but that doesn't mean it's OK.
The book follows a bunch of different stories, as well as interviews from different elementary,middle and high schools. Some sections focus on manipulation, others focus on girls who 'think they're all that.' Like herd structure in horses, there's a pecking order in the social hierarchy.
And everyone knows that.
I like this book because, for one, it gives real stories. Everyone can believe in a story like Mean Girls, but the fact is, that kind of thing really happens. Girls 'break up' and 'get back together' practically every other day. They cast snide remarks or give hairy eyeballs to someone who's dressed differently. They prey on new girls, no matter what the grade.
The frustrating thing about this book is that there is no solution to girl bullying. The book doesn't offer one. It invalidates the fact that it's just a phase, because it happens to everyone, everywhere. Simmons travelled to rural and big city schools, talking to girls all over the place. Just because you have money, or don't, doesn't mean there aren't mean girls.
The book never suggests a fix. Some girls are 'odd' girls and therefore are more subject to being teased or being regarded as 'different.' I have always felt distanced from the female world, and have on more than one occasion wished I was a boy. But I've read this multiple times and I know that there are other girls who feel the same. I generally enjoyed the book and give it eight rhinestone-studded True Religion jeans out of ten.
I grew up with that kind of shit, and it took me until last year to figure out that I didn't want to deal with it anymore. I proudly admit I am friends with about 4 girls. I won't name them, but I've known two for about all my life, and the others are more acquaintances than anything else.
My mom picked up this book when I was in elementary school. She told me she wanted to know whether or not what was happening to me was a real concern. It happens to everyone, the book explains, but that doesn't mean it's OK.
The book follows a bunch of different stories, as well as interviews from different elementary,middle and high schools. Some sections focus on manipulation, others focus on girls who 'think they're all that.' Like herd structure in horses, there's a pecking order in the social hierarchy.
And everyone knows that.
I like this book because, for one, it gives real stories. Everyone can believe in a story like Mean Girls, but the fact is, that kind of thing really happens. Girls 'break up' and 'get back together' practically every other day. They cast snide remarks or give hairy eyeballs to someone who's dressed differently. They prey on new girls, no matter what the grade.
The frustrating thing about this book is that there is no solution to girl bullying. The book doesn't offer one. It invalidates the fact that it's just a phase, because it happens to everyone, everywhere. Simmons travelled to rural and big city schools, talking to girls all over the place. Just because you have money, or don't, doesn't mean there aren't mean girls.
The book never suggests a fix. Some girls are 'odd' girls and therefore are more subject to being teased or being regarded as 'different.' I have always felt distanced from the female world, and have on more than one occasion wished I was a boy. But I've read this multiple times and I know that there are other girls who feel the same. I generally enjoyed the book and give it eight rhinestone-studded True Religion jeans out of ten.
No comments:
Post a Comment